The mission of the Heritage Public Library is to promote the development of independent, self-confident, and literate citizens through the provision of open access to cultural, intellectual, and informational resources.
The Heritage Public Library is a regional library serving New Kent County and Charles City County with two branches, one in New Kent, VA in Maidstone Village and the other in Charles City, VA in the Charles City Courthouse. Organized as a private not-for-profit corporation, it first opened its doors to the public on August 4, 1981. The library system holds over 53,000 materials including books, and audio books, DVDs, videos, music CDs, newspapers, and magazines. Heritage Public Library offers e-books, e-Magazines, e-Audio books, and online databases as well. Services available include wifi, high speed internet at library public computers, fax, copier, and programs for all ages. Our mission is to promote the development of independent, self-confident, and literate citizens through the provision of open access to cultural, intellectual and informational resources.
For more details on all of our policies, please visit our HPL Policies.
Special Collections & Archives Coordinator
The Special Collections & Archives Coordinator will care for and organize collections working with volunteers and library staff. Job located at the Richard M. Bowman Center for Local History at HPL’s Charles City County branch. The position will work between 20-25 hours per week (schedule to be determined). For details see job description below. To apply please email an application, resume, and letter of interest to HR HPL by 5 p.m., August 16th.
Library Assistant I – Passport Agent
The Library Assistant assists patrons and circulates library materials. Position will also serve as a Passport Agent at the New Kent location after completing training. This position works 20 hours per week and requires some nights and Saturdays. For details see job description below. To apply please submit an application, resume, and letter of interest to HR HPL by 5 p.m., August 16th.
- Groups sponsored by HPL or its Friends group,
- non-profit, civic or charitable, tax exempt organizations serving Charles City or New Kent counties,
- and individuals or organizations within the counties not charging an admission fee, all at the Library's discretion.
- New Kent branch between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Wednesday.
- Charles City branch between 10:00am-4:00 pm on Monday and 1:00 pm – 4 pm on Thursday.
- Other times by appointment.
Book Donation GuidelinesWe will accept:
- Hardcover and paperback books in good condition. We cannot use damaged books (e.g., broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, excessive writing in the text) or clearly outdated materials.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, and books on CD.
- Price guides and almanacs (current year only)
- Medical, self-help, business, and financial advice books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel/guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer manuals (less than 3 years old)
- Test preparation guides (less than 5 years old)
- Magazines (less than 2 years old). No news magazines (i.e, Time, Fortune, etc.)
- Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, with smoke or water damage, or with excessive writing or highlighting in the text
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Toys, games, puzzles, artwork
- Academic/Professional journals (i.e., nursing, legal, financial, etc.)
- Videocassettes or audiocassettes
- Workbooks or study guides with missing pages or that are partially or wholly filled in
- Computer programs
Board Meeting Schedule
- July 15, 2019 @ New Kent
- October 21, 2019 @ Charles City
- January 13, 2020 @ New Kent
- April 20, 2020 @ Charles City
- January 1st: New Year’s Day
- January (3rd Monday): Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February (3rd Monday): President’s Day
- May (last Monday): Memorial Day
- July 4th: Independence Day
- September (1st Monday): Labor Day
- November (4th Thursday and Friday): Thanksgiving Day and day after
- December 25th and either the 24th or 26th: Christmas Day