Register for an appointment online at:
Charles City Location
HPL locations are Passport Acceptance Centers, and offer passport services by appointment only. Note: We can advise on renewals but we do not process them. Forms are available online and at the library. Please review the requirements for your passport and be sure to have everything you need when you come to your appointment. If you come to your appointment without your check/money order, photo, and needed identification you will need to reschedule your appointment.
The Passport application acceptance fee charged by our facility is $35. It can be paid with a personal check, money order, or cashier’s check made out to HPL. Cash payment is accepted as well for this fee.
The Passport application fee is $130 for adults ages 16+ and $100 for minors that are 15 and under. This fee is made to the U.S. Department of State and is payable as a personal check, money order, or cashier’s check. Credit cards, debit cards, and cash are not accepted.
IMPORTANT: BE READY FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Get a passport photo. Information about passport photo requirements can be found at the U.S. Department of State. At this time we do not offer photo services. Call us for information on nearby photo services.
- Bring necessary identification and copies of identification. The library has a copy machine available. ID requirements are listed at the U.S. Department of State. Applicants need one form of picture id such as a driver’s license in addition to an expired passport, certificate of naturalization, or a birth certificate (original documents, not photocopies). For children or individuals with special circumstances there are other document requirements. Please review these requirements at the State Department website or call us if you are unsure of what documents you need.
- Bring checks, cashier’s checks or money orders for your passport fees. The library can accept checks or cash for the processing fee, but your application fees must paid by check, cashier’s check or money order, made out to the U.S. Department of State. Fees to the Department of State and the processing fee are two separate payments.
- Forms can be downloaded at U.S. Department of State. Forms are also available at HPL. We advise that you fill out forms before your appointment to save time, but please wait to sign them until your are asked to do so by your passport agent, and remember to use black ink.
- Coming with your family? Groups must make one appointment for each person seeking a passport.
Questions? Give us a call at 804-966-2480.
Did you know…Your birth certificate must be the “long form,” with both parents names on it. The small plastic card version is no longer accepted.
The Heritage Public Library System offers exam proctoring services for the public at the New Kent and Charles City locations. Proctoring is by appointment only.
Fee for residents of Charles City and New Kent counties:
- $25.00 for up to 3 hours per exam
- $40.00 for over 3 hours per exam
Fee for non-residents of Charles City and New Kent counties:
- $50.00 for up to 3 hours per exam
- $80.00 for over 3 hours per exam
Fees for proctoring services are payable by cash or check only. Checks should be made payable to the Heritage Public Library.
Some driving school exams are exempt from proctoring fees. If your school does not have a contract with us, the fee is $5; if they do there is no fee. Online driving school exams do not require an appointment.
Call 804-966-2480 for more information and appointments.
Both the Charles City and New Kent locations of HPL have meeting rooms and study rooms that can be reserved. To use our meeting rooms:
- Please read our Meeting Room Policy first.
- Contact HPL to check on room availability. If the main meeting room is not available or if you need a smaller space, ask about our study room or other available spaces.
- Fill out and submit a reservation application, available at either branch or online: Meeting Room Reservation Application.
- Tables, chairs, projector, and screen are available for use. Please request these items when making a reservation.
Meeting Room Policy
The following groups are eligible to use HPL’s meeting room for meetings and educational purposes:
1) Groups under the sponsorship or direction of HPL or its Friends group.
2) Non-profit, civic or charitable, tax exempt organizations serving Charles City or New Kent counties.
3) Responsible individuals or organizations within the counties not charging an admission fee.
4) For-profit enterprises that will use the facilities no more than four times per year and will pay $100.00 for each use. If library staff time is required, additional fees may apply.
b. Any organization, group, individual, or enterprise desiring to use the meeting room must complete the appropriate application forms. Applications will be approved, modified, or disapproved by the Library Director.
c. Application for use of the meeting room must be submitted at least fourteen (14) days prior to the planned activity. The Library Director will grant use of the meeting room in the order in which the applications are received, so long as it does not interfere with already scheduled programs or meetings. Meeting room use is restricted to regular library hours, unless it is for a library-sponsored or Friends-sponsored event. For groups listed under (a.1) there shall be no written application nor limit on the frequency of reservations.
d. Every applicant who receives permission to use the building shall, during the time of such use, be responsible for the preservation of law and order on the property and be responsible for damage to the building and its contents while using same. Any individual or organization who abuses the property or fails to comply with all rules and regulations will not only be financially responsible for any damage, but also may be denied further use of the facility. Children must be under the supervision of a responsible adult at all times.
e. Smoking, the burning of candles, having an open flame, or the consumption of alcoholic beverages are all forbidden.
f. The use of decorations is not permitted unless approved by the Library Director.
g. Animals or pets are not permitted in the building unless approved by the Library Director.
h. All events (including clean-up) must end fifteen minutes before the library closes.
i. Room set-up, take-down, and clean up are the responsibility of the organization using the room.
j. The Community Bulletin Board, located in the entrance way, may be used by patrons to publicize coming events available in our area that may be of interest to our patrons. Anyone wishing to post a notice must first get permission from the staff person at the front desk. Notices must be dated and any item that has been posted for more than two weeks may be removed at the Director’s discretion. If an item advertises an event, it may not be posted any earlier than two weeks prior to the event.
HPL maintains a local history collection at our New Kent Library and on our website. The items in the Local History Collection cannot be checked out. Available online research tools include Ancestry, FamilySearch, and local history digital collections. HPL is a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, offering additional records beyond those available when searching outside of the library. Assistance with research is available subject to staff availability.