We accept monetary donations to the library through PayPal or by mail to 7791 Invicta Lane, New Kent, VA 23124. Donations made to the Friends of Heritage Public Library pay for programs at the library year round. You can also help by visiting the library’s Amazon Wishlist or selecting Heritage Public Library as your charity while shopping online through Amazon Smile.
HPL is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. Gifts to the library may be tax deductible. Check with your tax advisor.
Thank you for your support!
Heritage Public Library welcomes your donated items. Items may be added to the Library’s collection, given to the Friends of the Library, or given away as deemed appropriate by the Library Director. Items not added to the collection will not be returned.
- Donations are not accepted “conditionally.” In other words, if you want to donate an item with the condition that it be added to the collection, the donation will be declined.
- Hours for donations are as follows:
New Kent Branch and Charles City Branch
Monday to Wednesday
- Donated items must be brought in boxes that the library can keep. We cannot accept donations that are unboxed, in trash bags, or in containers that the library must empty and return. Donations are limited to 25 items per month.
- DONATED ITEMS PLACED IN THE BOOK DROP OR LEFT ON THE SIDEWALK WILL BE DISCARDED OR RECYCLED.
- Receipts can be provided designating how many items were donated but the library does not determine the value of any items.
We will accept:
- Hardcover and paperback books in good condition. We cannot use damaged books (e.g., broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, smoke or water damaged, excessive writing or highlighting in the text) or clearly outdated materials.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, and books on CD.
The following materials are accepted with certain limits:
- Price Guides and Almanacs (current year only)
- Medical, Self-Help, Business, and Financial books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel Guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer Manuals (less than 3 years old)
- Test Preparation Guides (less than 5 years old)
- Magazines (less than 2 years old). No news magazines (i.e, Time, Fortune, etc.) or academic or professional journals
We do not accept:
- Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, with smoke or water damage, or with excessive writing or highlighting in the text
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Toys, games, puzzles, artwork
- Academic or Professional journals (i.e., nursing, legal, financial, etc.)
- Videocassettes or Audio cassettes
- Workbooks or Study Guides
- Computer Software or Games
Donations to the Friends of Heritage Public Library provide programming funds for the library. Learn more here.