Heritage Public Library is accepting applications for Library Assistants. Position will be required to work at both locations, some weekends and nights, and up to 20 hours/week. When applying, please include a letter of interest, a resume, and a completed application in an email addressed to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is Feb.4th by 5 p.m.
The mission of the Heritage Public Library is to promote the development of independent, self-confident, and literate citizens through the provision of open access to cultural, intellectual, and informational resources.
The Heritage Public Library is a regional library serving New Kent County and Charles City County with two branches, one in New Kent, VA in Maidstone Village and the other in Charles City, VA in the Charles City Courthouse. Organized as a private not-for-profit corporation, it first opened its doors to the public on August 4, 1981. The library system holds over 53,000 materials including books, and audio books, DVDs, videos, music CDs, newspapers, and magazines. Heritage Public Library offers e-books, e-Magazines, e-Audio books, and online databases as well. Services available include wifi, high speed internet at library public computers, fax, copier, and programs for all ages. Our mission is to promote the development of independent, self-confident, and literate citizens through the provision of open access to cultural, intellectual and informational resources.
For more details on all of our policies, please visit our HPL Policies.
To borrow from the library or to use our public computers, each patron must have a library card. You may go online to register @ Request a Library Card or fill out an application at either library branch. To complete your registration, you will need to show a picture id with your address ( for children without id, the guardian’s id will be used). We’ll also need a phone number in the event that we need to reach you. For minors under 18, the guardian and child need to both be present to receive the child’s card. The first card is free; replacements will be for $2 each.
More to know:
• Residents of other counties who work in Charles City or New Kent counties are eligible for library cards.
• If you don’t live or work in New Kent and Charles City, you can register for a card $5.
• By registering for and using your library card, you are agreeing to be responsible for the materials borrowed on your card. We assess fines if your items are returned late, are lost, or are damaged.
• HPL cards are good at both locations.
Visit a library branch to learn more!
Computers, Internet and WiFi are available for library cardholders in good standing. Public computers have MS Office software and are configured to use Chrome and IE browsers. USB data storage devices (such as thumbdrives) can be used. By using these library resources, you agree to use them appropriately. For more information, read our full Computer and Internet Policy.
HPL has one meeting room and one study room at the New Kent location that can be used for public meetings with non-profit and educational purposes only, and only during library open hours.
The study room is available for individuals and small groups. No application is required, but the study room must be signed out at the front desk. It can be reserved; if not reserved, it is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Groups eligible to use the meeting room are:
- Groups sponsored by HPL or its Friends group,
- non-profit, civic or charitable, tax exempt organizations serving Charles City or New Kent counties,
- and individuals or organizations within the counties not charging an admission fee, all at the Library’s discretion.
*For-profit enterprises may use the facilities for a fee, and for no more than four times per year.
An application is required to use the meeting room, and must be approved before meetings can be scheduled. The application must be submitted at least fourteen (14) days prior to the planned activity. Other conditions apply; please call or review the application and full policy for more information or see more at Services.
Thank you for donating!
Heritage Public Library welcomes your donated books, audiobooks, movies, music and magazines. Items may be added to the Library’s collection, given to the Friends of the Library for sale on their book shelves, or given away as deemed appropriate by the Library Director. Items not added to the collection will not be returned.
Donations are not accepted “conditionally.” In other words, if you want to donate an item with the condition that it be added to the collection, the donation will be declined.
Hours for donations are as follows:
- New Kent branch between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Wednesday.
- Charles City branch between 10:00am-4:00 pm on Monday and 1:00 pm – 4 pm on Thursday.
- Other times by appointment.
Donated items must be brought in boxes that the library can keep. We cannot accept donations that are unboxed, in trash bags, or in containers that the library must empty and return. Donations are limited to 50 items per month.
DONATED ITEMS PLACED IN THE BOOK DROP OR LEFT ON THE SIDEWALK WILL BE DISCARDED OR RECYCLED.
Receipts can be provided designating how many items were donated but the library does not determine the value of any items.
Book Donation Guidelines
We will accept:
- Hardcover and paperback books in good condition. We cannot use damaged books (e.g., broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, excessive writing in the text) or clearly outdated materials.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, and books on CD.
The following materials are accepted with certain limits:
- Price guides and almanacs (current year only)
- Medical, self-help, business, and financial advice books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel/guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer manuals (less than 3 years old)
- Test preparation guides (less than 5 years old)
- Magazines (less than 2 years old). No news magazines (i.e, Time, Fortune, etc.)
We do not accept:
- Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, with smoke or water damage, or with excessive writing or highlighting in the text
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Toys, games, puzzles, artwork
- Academic/Professional journals (i.e., nursing, legal, financial, etc.)
- Videocassettes or audiocassettes
- Workbooks or study guides with missing pages or that are partially or wholly filled in
- Computer programs
Heritage Public Library is governed by an 11-member Library Board of Trustees representing New Kent and Charles City counties. Each county in appoints members to represent the citizens of that county, and those members may then appoint up to three additional members. All Board members serve rotating 4-year terms.
Board Meeting Schedule
- July 16, 2018 @ New Kent
- October 15, 2018 @ Charles City
- January 14, 2019 @ New Kent
- April 15, 2019 @ Charles City
- January 1st: New Year’s Day
- January (3rd Monday): Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February (3rd Monday): President’s Day
- May (last Monday): Memorial Day
- July 4th: Independence Day
- September (1st Monday): Labor Day
- November (4th Thursday and Friday): Thanksgiving Day and day after
- December 25th and either the 24th or 26th: Christmas Day
In addition, if the Library is open on December 24 or 31, we will close at 5:00p.m.