We accept monetary donations through PayPal or by mail to 7791 Invicta Lane, New Kent, VA 23124. Donations to the Friends of Heritage Public Library pay for programs at the library year round. You can also help by visiting the library’s Amazon Wishlist or selecting Heritage Public Library as your charity while shopping online through Amazon Smile.
HPL is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. Gifts to the library may be tax deductible. Check with your tax advisor.
Thank you for your support!
Donations to the Friends of Heritage Public Library provide programming funds for the library. Learn more here.
We welcome book and media donations that fit the criteria stated in our Book/Media Donation Acceptance Policy. Please read the requirements before bringing us your donation. Due to storage and staffing limitations, the donation must follow the following requirements:
- Your donated books, audiobooks, movies, music and magazines may be added to the Library’s collection, given to the Friends of the Library for fundraising, or given away as deemed appropriate by the Library Director. Items not added to the collection cannot be returned.
- Donations are not accepted “conditionally.”
- Hours for donations are as follows:
New Kent branch between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Wednesday.
Charles City branch between 10:00am-4:00 pm on Monday and 1:00 pm – 4 pm on Thursday.
Other times by appointment.
- Donated items must be brought in boxes that the library can keep. We cannot accept donations that are unboxed, in trash bags, or in containers that the library must empty and return. Donations are limited to 50 items per month.
- DONATED ITEMS PLACED IN THE BOOK DROP OR LEFT ON THE SIDEWALK WILL BE DISCARDED OR RECYCLED.
- Receipts can be provided designating how many items were donated but the library does not determine the value of any items.
Book Donation Guidelines
We will accept:
- Hardcover and paperback books in good condition. We cannot use damaged books (e.g., broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, excessive writing in the text) or clearly outdated materials.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, and books on CD.
The following materials are accepted with certain limits:
- Price guides and almanacs (current year only)
- Medical, self-help, business, and financial advice books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel/guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer manuals (less than 3 years old)
- Test preparation guides (less than 5 years old)
- Magazines (less than 2 years old). No news magazines (i.e, Time, Fortune, etc.)
We do not accept:
- Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages or covers, soiled, musty or moldy, with smoke or water damage, or with excessive writing or highlighting in the text
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Toys, games, puzzles, artwork
- Academic/Professional journals (i.e., nursing, legal, financial, etc.)
- Videocassettes or audiocassettes
- Workbooks or study guides with missing pages or that are partially or wholly filled in
- Computer programs